Look at you!!!! You are changing so fast! I'm barely blinking, and you are different every single day.
I know your pants are hiked up like old man pants in this picture above - sorry. I tried to get them down, but it's so hard to get you to be still for a picture now. You want to reach to the right and left and grab stuff or reach forward and grab the camera. I have SO MANY pictures of you this past month! You have been up to a lot....so let me just hurry up and get started with this update.
- You celebrated your first Thanksgiving! We went to Florida for the week, and you did great. We spent time with your great Grandma and Grandpa, Grammie and GatorPa, Aunt Krista and Uncle Matt, Nana and Grandaddy, Zach, Noah, Madison, Aunt Wendy, Uncle Tom, Aunt Olivia, and Uncle Bryan.
Here you are with Aunt Krista:
Here you are at Mia's (one of Mommy's favorite Crestview restaurants) with Grammie and GatorPa. You can see GatorPa has on his nametag - he was hanging out with us during his lunch.
Let's see...this is already so long, but I have so much more to say! And, since this is my letter to you, I can make it as long as I want. Here's what else has been going on!
- You love to "stand" and "walk". If I lay you down on the floor on your back now, you immediately start to cry unless I begin entertaining you RIGHT THEN. You cannot quite sit up yet and you can't crawl yet, but you want to SEE and MOVE. You do NOT want to lie on your back and play with the toys on your infant gym. You are almost like a Riverdance dancer or a tap dancer because you are so funny on your feet. Since you are steady, it's almost like you are hopping around all the time, but you sure do love it. You like to be in on the action.
- You are talking more - especially in the mornings. You are squealing like crazy, and saying mamama (but have no idea that's me), and bababa (but have no idea that's your bottle).
- You are reaching your arms out to us more. I wasn't really sure if that's what you were doing, at first, but I'm more and more sure that is what's happening. If I get your out of your exersaucer or up from the crib, you usually hold your arms up for me to get you - could be because you want to eat my hands though....
- You are making the funniest faces with your mouth. You are putting your top lip over your bottom lip - making sort of a "duck" face - and just drooling all over the place. It's really, really funny. You are doing the motorboat sound a lot.
- You have had a cold on and off this past month. Then, a couple of days ago, your right eye started getting gunky and kind of pinkish. We weren't sure if it was a cold or pink eye. We took you to the dr. (because we always take you to the dr. since we have no clue what we're doing). They said you were fine - even though you've had this little cold (which we took you to the dr. for about a month ago), they said they couldn't see any infections and that your lungs sounded great. They gave us eye drops to put in both of your eyes just in case it is pink eye. It's been very challenging getting those eye drops in your eyes - good grief it is hard! I cannot get your eye open!!! The coughing from your little cold scares me. I think it sounds like a fake cough, but when I tried to ask the dr. about it, she acted like um, no, that could not happen. So...I'm hoping the eye drops will clear up your pink eye or whatever it is and that your cough will continue to get better and better.
- You are teething like crazy...BUT STILL NO TEETH!!!! You are chewing on EVERYTHING. I mean, anything. paper. my hands. my hair. anything you can get your mouth on, literally. I'm really hoping soon a tooth will come through just so maybe you can get some relief for a little while before the next one breaks through!
- You are sleeping great. You are going to bed around 9pm every night and waking up around 7am. Between 7 and 7:30am. I think because of your gums hurting, you wake up sometimes in the early morning - like starting around 4, and usually I have to go in 2 or 3 times and put your paci in and you go right back to sleep. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but probably half the time, it does. You are taking 3 naps a day. One from around 9:30am-11:00am, a short one from about 1:30-2:15 or so, and then a longer one from about 4:00pm - 6:00pm. You still wake up a lot crying during your naps. I still don't know why, but usually I can help you go back to sleep. Times that you don't wake up crying are a huge victory to me - I'm hoping those times will begin to be more than the wake up crying times. Oh, and you are sleeping on your stomach almost all the time now. I put you on your back, but you immediately roll over onto your stomach. You can get over great, but still have a difficult time getting onto your back from your stomach, so that is frustrating. You aren't too happy when you wake up on your stomach in the morning or from naps, yet when I lay you down, you immediately roll onto your stomach.
- You are eating pretty well. In fact, when we went to the dr. about your eyes a couple of days ago, you weight 15 lbs - you gained a whole lb. this past month! Thank goodness because Dr. Evans was worried about your weight a month ago when we came in about your cold. You are supposed to be eating at least 24 oz. a day, and I'm feeding you oatmeal banana cereal for breakfast and then a fruit or vegetable for lunch. So far you have liked everything you've eaten. You've made funny faces, but you seem to like all the foods. You ate sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving - I felt like that was the closest to Thanksgiving food I could get for you. Not sure what I'll give you on Christmas. If you don't get to 24 oz one day, then I don't feed you real food the next day. The nurse line (my best friends) at your dr. office told me the most important thing is that you get your milk each day, so take out the food if you are not getting enough milk.
- Oh, this is a biggie. So...we learned that the entire time you've been alive, we've been buckling you into your car seat WRONG. We were doing the straps around your legs wrong. Thank goodness we didn't have a car accident (not that I hope we have one now since we're buckling you in right). Olivia buckled you in at church, and I told her no, she was doing it wrong, so she called Tiffany over and Tiffany buckled you in just like Olivia. Well, sure enough, I was wrong. HELLOOOOO!??? Did we not read the book!? It shows clearly in the book, in red, where the straps go. AND, we've had you buckled in the middle of the Murano, and you're not allowed to be in that seat - you have to be on one of the sides.
- Joy took our pictures for our Christmas card and just as a milestone for you at around 6 months. They are FANTASTIC. I mean, when she sent the preview, I just cried looking at them thinking how blessed my life is. It's a lot of work and trust me, I'm glad when you go to bed a lot of nights!....but boy I love you and Daddy!
- The crawling status is this: you are putting your legs up under your bottom to stick your bottom in the air and try to move, but you have no idea that your arms have to move too. It's like the top half of you is dead weight and you don't want to move it. I keep trying to push your feet to help you, and you move then, but still haven't figure out your arms. The sitting up status is this: You are almost sitting up on your own, but you don't understand that if you reach for something, you have to balance yourself with your other arm. So...I've tried to let you fall a few times (cushioned by me, of course) to help you see that you have to balance yourself. I think you'll get it in the next couple of weeks - it's definitely close.
- You have been so funny about the wrapping and tissue paper for Christmas. Just like you liked the leaves on the trees, you like the tissue paper rattle. I tried to give it to you, but you just want to eat it...I let you eat it for a second, but then I had to take it away from you since it like immediately starts melting in your mouth.
- One of your favorite things to do is sit in the bathroom sink (with no water, obviously) and look at yourself in the mirror. You love this, and so it's our go to when you are a maniac sometimes in the evenings. You also like to touch the Christmas tree, and the lights on it, and the ornaments.
- You are sitting in your toddler bathtub with no sling now!
- A funny thing - you love tags. I mean, on all of your toys, your favorite part is the tag. In your bouncy seat, you love the tag. In your exersaucer, you find the tags. You like to feel them between your fingers. This totally cracks me up because I truly thing some of your favorite toys are the ones with tags.
We are so excited about our first Christmas with you. Don't worry, I'm sure Santa will find our house! Daddy and I loved letting you look at the lights at Lake Lanier a couple of weeks ago. You were able to sit on our laps to look at them as we drove, and you actually paid attention! I know you won't care about presents, except maybe about chewing on them, but that's okay...I know those years will come. I love you, I love you, I love you, sweet Punky!! Please stop growing so fast - this mommy's heart can't take it!!!!
P.S. I have to add to this - you had your actual 6 month appointment today - 01/07/2011. We had to go late for your checkup because of the Christmas/New Year's holidays. Here are your official stats:
Weight: 16 lbs 9 oz (22%)
Height: 28.25" (90%)
Head Circum: 16.75 (12%)
So...the dr. thought you looked GREAT! You are VERY, VERY tall! Yay! Daddy says if you are over 6 feet he will quit his job and teach you mad basketball skills and we'll just live off you, James :) You are still very skinny - but your percentile is going up, at least, so Dr. Evans says she is okay with it. You'll soon be 7 months!!