Wednesday, August 4, 2010

James and Mommy Baking

So, after I said James didn't like to just sit and is never content, I may have found something he likes to do. Or, he liked to do it today, anyway. I had some sour cream in the refrigerator that I needed to use so decided to make a sour cream pound cake. Instead of using the time James is asleep, I thought he might like it in the kitchen with me, so I brought him in. At first I just put him in the bouncy seat without the toys so he could watch everything. As I unloaded the dishwasher, I showed him different things, told him what they were, and let him touch them (even though he had no interest in touching anything and only wanted to look away when I tried to force him to touch). Cleaning up the kitchen went so well with him, that I decided to go ahead and try to get the cake made (can you tell I'm just about feeling back to my old self? :) So, he sat there while I made it, happy as could be (for the most part). I had to put his toys on probably halfway through and hand over the pacifier. He really liked the mixer noise. It didn't startle him, but he would look over with wide eyes and just stare. So, James and I made a sour cream pound cake together this morning. He did a great job on his part. My part, however, we'll see about - I only had 5 eggs instead of 6 - and I just went on and made it anyway.....Hopefully it will not be sick! See pictures of James' baking debut below :)




3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are feeling better! I was going to tell you that Avery loved Praise Baby videos and a Baby Gator video. I'd be happy to loan them to you if you want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I've heard both of those are good - uh, especially the Baby Gator one - I think Landon and I both feel ashamed that we don't own it yet...even though he's 6 weeks old! :) I think I'd rather buy them though since we'll want to use them for more than one baby (probably) :) So glad you are home safe and doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "forcing" Floe to feel those touch and see books. Then one day she started doing it herself! You are a great mommy to help James experience the world.

    ReplyDelete