Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Home, Halloween, Centerpiece, & Easy Recipe

It's been a  busy past week.  We did go home to FL for a few days over the past weekend. I think the weekend came just in time - Landon needed a break, so I thought the timing was really perfect.  We didn't get to do everything we wanted to while at home, but almost everything...we did get to do.  Landon got to spend quite a bit of time with his family - not everyone, but a lot of them.  That was good.  Seeing Olivia was fun since she is further along pregnant with sweet Sophia.  Seeing my parents was great too - biggest failure...I forgot to take hardly any pictures.  Yuck.  Here are a few.  James and GatorPa playing blocks in the floor.

 James LOVES to feed Katie bread out the window, thanks to Grammie. 
 We left Florida before the crack of dawn on Monday so that we could be home to trick or treat with our friends.  I say this like a gazillion billion times, but I am so thankful for young couples at our church with young children that we've been able to connect with.  It's a lonely life with no friends, and I'm just grateful for these precious families.  We had a great time - I was worried about how James would do since we'd been in the car ALL DAY with NO afternoon nap, but he made it through :)





 And finally, in the most important news of the day (NOT), I put a new centerpiece on our kitchen table.  First of all, this is not really an authentic look at what our table looks like normally because I cleared it off just to take the picture.  Right now the table has some coupons I need to file, a stack of mail I knew I needed to keep but haven't gone through yet, an old newspaper, a gift for a shower at church on Sunday, my Jesus Calling devotional, James' wipes and bib, his leftover breakfast plate, and my coffee.  So...my dream table is below :)  Not my real life table.  ANYWAY, when I was home, my mom had this pretty centerpiece.  Ended up that she'd gotten the stuff from WalMart to put it together.  So, she picked some up for me.  When I got here and put mine together I thought about having this twisted pedestal thing (I clearly have not sold SLAH in a long time because I can't remember what it's called anymore) and thought it might look good.  I think it looks great!  Gives it great height.

In more serious news of what this week is holding, we had a coach close to our town die Monday morning in a car accident.  We have several folks at our church who knew him at least fairly well - one coach who knew him extremely well and worked with him.  He left behind a young wife and young son.  We are praying hard for this family.  What a tragedy. 
Landon is back at work, and working hard.  He is excited about his message coming up this next Sunday.  I'm excited too - he does such a great job.
I talked to my work yesterday.  I am planning to go in next week one day to talk about "transition".  That means I have to go in and show everyone how to do the job that I'm not going to get to do anymore :(  Yuck.  I am dreading it.  I can see that it's necessary, obviously, and I really want to finish well.  BUT, my heart is breaking over it - yuck.  Still praying something may work out in another department, but I'm not counting on that, for sure.  I'm so grateful for the time I've worked for my company.  I sure do love it. 
Oh, and about Tasty Tuesday...well...I just didn't really have any good recipes to post.  I can post one now that I made last night - and it's just a standby that I'm sure everyone knows - and it's not even a main dish - just a side.  We had grilled jerk chicken last night with brown rice and broccoli.  Here's my brown rice recipe:

Brown Rice

1 can beef consume
1 can french onion soup
1 cup of uncooked rice
1/2 a stick of butter

Mix together in a 9x9 casserole dish, and bake at 350% for 45 minutes.  I always cover it with foil because it makes the rice on top hard if you don't.  This is one of our favorite (and easiest) sides for dinner. 

Trying to remember this week that "in quietness and trust are your strength". 

No comments:

Post a Comment