Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lung Diseases from Moldy Bathrooms, Anyone?

I have cleaning issues.  I just do.  I'm a pretty OCD person, and have had some help with that the last few years, so I've calmed it down a little.  Landon used to help me more in the house when we lived in Woodstock, but now that his job is more difficult and longer hours...and just generally more mentally consuming, he is not as helpful.  Which is fine with me.  Completely understandable, and these are some of the ways I can step up while at home and help our family.  All that being said, I have a tough time with cleaners.  I get mad when cleaners don't work, so usually I just end up pouring bleach all in the shower.  We have a really nice shower - it's all tile - but it gets mold very quickly, which I know is gross, but I'm just keeping it real.  I can only look at the mold so long before I start to freak out - feel I'm being smothered in the shower by the smell of mold and getting some crazy lung disease that is incurable, so I know I need to clean it.  However, I don't have a lot of time.  Or, let me rephrase - I don't make a lot of time to clean the shower.  So, usually, I just pour straight bleach all over the grout in the shower.  Oh, let me tell you, it cleans it right up.  However, you need a gas mask to shower in there for the next 2 days, even with the fan constantly on.  I tried some vinegar a long time ago, and I didn't think it did jack.  So, here we are.  I have a two year old.  At some point we'd like to add to our family.  I am doing all the cleaning - usually with the two year old in tow, and I don't need him getting the same incurable lung disease I am fearful of getting.  So, although I am not an organic-y person, I've got to try something new.  I tried something new today.  I found this recipe on pinterest to clean soap scum, and I'm hoping it might also help with mold.

You heat 1 cup of white vinegar in the microwave for 2 minutes.  Pour it in your spray bottle.  Then add 1 cup of blue color Dawn dish soap.  Shake it up and go to town spraying.  I did this about an hour ago in all the bathrooms.  NOW, wait two hours and it should wipe right up.  I will update on this as soon as I check it out and see if it just "wipes right up". 

UPDATE: (5 hours later)...okay, so like when I was supposed to, after a couple of hours, I went to see what the deal was.  It is true that most of the soap scum on the glass shower door did wipe away.  However, I already had a fix for that by wiping shampoo all over it when I get in the shower and then letting it sit there, and by the time I leave the shower washing it off - and the glass is clean - no soap scum.  But, no mold wiped away.  I mean, once I scrubbed it, some wiped away.  But, as usual, I had to get out the bleach and just pour it on there.  And then, I was back to my usual lung/bathroom/poisoning situation.  So, IF you have a real mold solution out there, I need it.  If you don't but you can relate, I need some support.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, quit lying.  I know you know what I'm talking about.  Maybe I could set the tile on fire twice a month in the shower - like a circus act or something - that would be natural, right????  Clearly, I am no Martha Stewart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment