Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Running from a Dog


Okay, so I'm sure you're thinking, "Is Bethany about to say she and Landon got a dog?" NO. The answer is no. I am about to tell you a story about what happened to me last night.
So...I decided to go running last night. I leave the house and run probably about a mile and turn onto another street. Landon warned me about running on this street - said he didn't think it was a good idea for me to go alone on it. But, I'm thinking, no problem, there are lots of houses, if someone tries to get me, I can run into a yard. I did not anticipate a dog. I had just turned the corner onto this new street and had to pass (on the left) a kind of run down property. Okay, no problem - I just run a little faster past this. Well, I have my Ipod on, so I'm listening to like Josh Groban or something when I see a dog - a pretty big dog. Looks like a Rottweiler to me (though I am no expert) and looks like it's still a puppy but might weigh about 50 pounds. It is bounding up this yard toward me. I start screaming - I do not really realize I am screaming until I put the Ipod on pause. So, a man comes out from behind his home, and yells to me, "Don't worry, he won't bite you." So, I pause for a moment to let the man call the dog and get him back in the yard. Well, the dog won't go and is only interested in me. So, I decide to start running again. To make a long story short, the dog follows me all the way down this road - probably a mile. The last thing the owner of the dog yelled was, "This is the dumbest dog I've ever seen." So, the dog and I, my new friend, that I am still sort of afraid of, are running together now. I kept sort of looking behind me to the left to see if he was still there - he was. Twice he was all in the road and cars had to stop and I was trying to yell at the cars, "He isn't even my dog! This isn't my dog!" So...finally at the end of that street when I'm about to cross onto another road, he got interested in some skateboard people and went over to them and I was able to slip away. I tried many tactics to get him to go away - I tried ignoring him, then I tried yelling, "Go home!" in a gruff voice to him, and then one time when I thought a St. Bernard (very large dog) was going to jump over the fence of his yard, I had to talk nice to the dog and say, "It's okay, stop barking, stop barking, you're okay." There is no point to this story except that it's much funnier when I tell it my ownself, with my own voice. It was scary though, and I will no longer be taking that route when running by myself.

In other news, I've been having bad dreams. I do not know why this is, but on Saturday night, I had to wake Landon up, and he got up and went downstairs to make sure no one was down there because I was feeling freaked out and getting my clothes on, etc. in case something was about to go down. So, last night when I wore a jogging suit to bed, Landon made fun of me (in a funny way) saying that I was afraid someone was going to come upstairs and I thought I was going to have to start running away. Whatever - no one came in the house. I think the bad dreams are from me seeing this movie, Knowing, last Saturday night.

American Idol TONIGHT!

5 comments:

  1. If I had to choose between wearing jogging clothes to bed or getting a guard dog, I'd choose getting a dog.

    Glad you made a new "friend" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abosolutely hilarious B. I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard about the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't you "jog the dog" right to a Dog Pound? That irresponsible dog owner needs to learn a lesson. SOME people might be afraid of dogs...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...the dog story is priceless...scary too

    ReplyDelete